We are pushing through another year of winter swimming to help feed the hungry in our local communities.
The Seventh Annual Will Swim For Food is scheduled for Saturday, January 14, 2017. We swim from Main Beach, around the Santa Cruz Wharf, and into Cowell’s Beach, approximately 1 mile.
Founded in 2009, Will Swim for Food’s vision is a time when no one will have to choose between food and some necessity of life, and that the stress on the family structure due to food insecurity will be eliminated.
Our mission is to be the largest single fundraiser for foodbanks worldwide and to alleviate foodbanks from the task of raising money and allow them to focus on providing food to our neighbors in need.
• We will always keep in mind that “there but by the grace of God go I.”
• We believe that everyone gives their best effort, that some people’s best effort is better than others, but everyone will always try their best
• We believe that regardless of race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation, or gender, we are all humans, we are all the same, and we should treat each other with the same compassion and concern that we would want to be treated.
• We believe that everyone can fall on hard times and this is not a reflection of their value as a human
• We believe in hugs
• We believe in being transparent and minimizing administrative and operational costs to maximize the funds that go to food banks around the world To do this, Will Swim for Food raises money for food banks nationwide by holding open-water swims in the middle of winter.
To date, we have raised over $250,000 for food banks from Virginia to Hawaii. Based in Santa Cruz, California, WSFF is expanding to Tomales Bay, San Diego, Galveston, and Charleston, with further plans to become a global non-profit.
If you would like to start a Will Swim for Food event in your area or become a Will Swim for Food swimmer, please message us, we’d love to hear from you!! Will Swim for Food is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.